Our attorneys represent employers on a wide range of employment matters including day-to-day counseling and advice, responding to agency complaints and investigations, and litigation. We are dedicated to helping employers maintain positive relationships with employees, solve unforeseen problems quickly, and provide practical options designed to comply with legal requirements while meeting the real needs of the workplace.
Lewis Kappes represents both employers and individuals in matters and disputes related to employment contracts (including independent contractor agreements), severance and separation agreements, and agreements not-to-compete.
Guiding and Representing Employers in Compliance, Complaints, and Litigation
Lewis Kappes helps employers navigate the complex web of federal and state statutes and regulations governing the employment relationship.
We regularly provide:
- Employee handbook and policy drafting, revisions and updates
- Draft, review, and advise on employment contracts and independent contractor agreements
- Create and provide guidance on severance and separation agreements
- Advice on compliance with the Fair Labor Standard Act and state wage and wage payment statutes and regulations
- Guidance on employee leave matters – Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), military leave, and employer-created leave policies
- Compliance and investigation advice relating to discrimination, harassment and other similar employee relations matters and complaints. We Conduct independent investigations of employee harassment and discrimination complaints, providing candid findings and practical response options
- Advice on disability (ADA) and religious accommodation requests
- Responding to EEOC and state agency Charges of Discrimination and other federal and state agency complaints and investigations including from the U.S. Department of Labor
- Guidance on National Labor Relations Act (NLRA) compliance for both union and non-union employers, handling proceedings before the NLRB, and representing management in collective bargaining
- Representing employers in employment-related litigation including discrimination claims, wrongful termination, wage claims, breach of contract, defamation, and many others.
Advising Individuals on Employment Contracts, Severance Agreements, Independent Contractor Agreements, and Non-Compete Disputes
Lewis Kappes provides representation to individuals on a limited range of matters including formation and disputes involving employment agreements, severance and separation agreements, non-compete agreements, and independent contractor agreements.