Philip S. Kappes
Philip "Skip" Kappes is a Founding Director of Lewis Kappes and has been practicing law for over seven decades in his various areas of expertise. His practice is primarily concentrated in the area of corporate and business law, giving business, legal and tax advice to various corporate clients and resolving complex commercial disputes through litigation or other means. He assists small- and medium-sized businesses in sale, acquisition and financing. He also provides advice and assistance to companies and individuals who wish to protect their intellectual property rights.
He is a mediator, helping parties to civil actions attempt to resolve their disputes before trial and to avoid the complexities and emotionally draining nature of extensive litigation. Mr. Kappes provides estate planning services to clients with large and small estates, helping to ensure that their loved ones and other beneficiaries receive the optimal yield from a life of hard work.
He has been and is active in a number of community service organizations, serving as a past President of both the Children's Museum Board of Trustees and the Crossroads Council Boy Scouts of America; Trust Fund Trustee of Crossroads Council Boy Scouts of America; a past trustee of Butler University, and a past chairman of the board of Fairbanks Hospital; past Chairman of the Scottish Rite Foundation of Indianapolis.
As a co-founder and a tireless mentor, Mr. Kappes has been instrumental in guiding the various practice areas at Lewis Kappes and takes pride in seeing the team resolve cases in the most efficient and strategic way possible.
University of Michigan
Law School, J.D.
Indiana Journal for Global Legal Students, Submission Editor
1945 cum laude
Phasellus nec gravida purus. Aliquam ac enim vel ipsum consectetur vulputate. Duis quis feugiat neque. Pellentesque eleifend, nisi vel mattis vestibulum, est lacus pretium quam.
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Indiana State Bar Association, Member, 1948-Present; Secretary, 1973-74; Executive Committee and Board of Managers, 1973-74; District Representative, Board of Managers, 1976-1977; House of Delegates, 1958; Chairman, Law Practice Management Committee, 1992; Public Relations Executive Committee, 1966-1969; Chairman, Committee on American Citizenship, 1963; Grievance Committee, 1960-61; Midwinter Meeting Committee, 1965; Unauthorized Practice of Law Committee, 2002- 2018; Law Office Management Committee, 2001-2018; Improvements in the Judicial System, 2002-2019; Chairman, Subcommittee on Merit Selection of Judges, 2005-2018
- American Bar Association, Member; House of Delegates, 1970-1971; Chairman, Lawyers Title Guaranty Fund Committee, 1971-1973
- American Judicature Society, Member
- Lawyers Club of Indianapolis, Member
- Lawyers Association of Indianapolis, Fellow
- Indianapolis Bar Foundation
- Indiana Bar Foundation
- American Bar Foundation
- Butler University, Adjunct Professor of Business Law, 1948-1952
- Butler University, Trustee, 1990, 1992
- Butler University Alumni Association, Inc., President, 1955-1957
- Scottish Rite Children's Learning Center, Director, 1997-1998, Chairman of the Board, 2000-2003, Vice Chair 2003-Present
- Indianapolis Scottish Rite Cathedral Foundation, Inc., Director, 1997-Present, Chairman 1998
- Indianapolis Valley Scottish Rite, Trustee
- Scottish Rite of Indianapolis Foundation, Inc., Director, 1998-Present
- Phi Delta Theta Fraternity at Butler University, Chapter Advisor, 32 years
- Masons, Worshipful Master, 1975
- 33rd Degree Most Wise Master, 1982-1984
- Indianapolis Chapter Rose Croix Executive Committee, Trustee, 1996-2001
- Who's Who in America
- Who's Who in American Law
- Who's Who in Finance and Industry
- 33rd Degree Mason (Honorary)
- Children's Museum of Indianapolis Life Trustee
- Crossroads of America Council Boy Scouts of America Life Director
- Indianapolis Bar Association Buchanan Award of Excellence
- Indianapolis Bar Association Board of Managers Award for Improvements in the Judicial System
- Indiana State Bar Association Golden Career Award
- Butler University Alumni Association Mortar Award
- Butler University Distinguished Alumnus Award and Butler Medal Recipient
- Phi Delta Theta International Fraternity Legion of Merit Award
Let's Keep In Touch
Philip S. Kappes